Labels: ,

Alliances Over Brawn and I Don't Like It!

We’re several weeks into this season’s Challenge and I feel like I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. With all the new competitors on this show, I feel clueless as to how it will all play out. Already the team scores are baffling me. Seems like we generally have few drama/hook-up points, despite all the couples we know are amongst the cast. The trend for this season seems to be that of alliances over athletic prowess. While one would think the drama of that would be more interesting, I actually find it somewhat infuriating. If a bunch of teams gang up on one team (e.g. Fresh Meat and now Brooklyn), it kinda takes the fun out of seeing how the players would otherwise hold their own athletically.

This alliance approach also raises three important questions: (1) How did CJ get to the top of the alliance? Yes, he smiles a lot, but is that enough to get you to the top? (2) How did Chet get to the bottom? On previous episodes he’s someone who has just been a background character, and now he seems to be a target of ill will. Is that just a reflection of how few players with personality there are on this season? (3) How the hell is St. Thomas surviving? They haven’t been aligned with either alliance, and although they were initially a target, they now seem to be flying under the radar. I’m loving it since I have Marie on my team, but I don’t understand it.

I enjoyed this week’s challenge – trivia! The geography rounds are always the most amusing, with players perpetually confused between what’s a continent and what’s a country. I also disappoint myself for being so lousy at the Challenge history round given that I’ve watched pretty much every Challenge (should I be admitting that?)

Now I have to say I’m not at all sad to see Mackenzie and Preston go. Even on her Real World episode, Mackenzie got under my skin. I guess I’m not buying that she’s as sweet as she tries to appear any more than I believe she is a real blonde given those dark eyebrows. Maybe I’m wrong on both counts, but in any case, good riddance Mackenzie. Frankly, I’m surprised that Team New Orleans has stayed intact as long as it has.

Team Cancun has been the most surprising for me. We knew that Jonna and Jasmine were decently athletic, and I guess that CJ’s past football experience renders him athletic, but still, the fact they’ve twice won the weekly challenge has been truly impressive.

Special thanks to JD for winning me a bonus point this week. He was my last choice, and so I didn't have high expectations for his point potential. But perhaps I under-estimated Team Brooklyn (maybe; unlikely).

Although I still think I have a strong team, after week 4 I’m second to last on the score board . C’mon Team Lady Crushers +1—show this season what you got!

2 comments:

Yasmine Gomez said...

I totally can't answer the Challenge history trivia questions either! How? Why?

J.A. Yang said...

Because they are not easy!