Labels: , ,

Team Eye Candy


Last year I had Team Wes and I would have been ecstatic to repeat, but I suppose it wasn’t meant to be. This year, I have the aptly named, Team Eye Candy. Wowsers!! Mostly, this draft for me was about adapting. Having draft strategy plans that kept going out of the door and then having to come up with something else. That happens when you pick last, but felt I fared decently considering. Stupid random number generator… I was lobbying for an NFL or even NBA style draft, which orders based on the previous year ranking. Wouldn’t have helped me from the 2nd position, but it would have prevented HT from getting the #1 pick. Heh. To borrow a page from Wes’ book, I’m here to ensure that money doesn’t fall into the hands of evil, or in this case, that HT doesn’t acquire anymore DVDs. Sorry HT, but you gotta go down, and maybe I’ll be the one to do it this time, my arch-nemesis.

On a serious note, while drafting 6th may not have been what I had hoped for, I still had the opportunity to maneuver and draft a team. I attempted to swap picks to move up, but I was rebuffed by those who shall remain unamed! Stymied, I focused on the draft and tried to come up with a profile of players to draft. With the expanded rule set, we see more emphasis on drama and craziness, over and above just competition. Fighting used be a warning flag, as it was risk for expulsion, while now, the mere glipse of a push or shove in the trailer, churns excitement into a given player's draft prospects.

Nonetheless, I feel the big driver of points will still be competition prowess. The better the competitor you are, the more influence you yield, and the longer you’ll stick around to earn points. That was the core direction of my draft, find survivors, and find competitors. Survive, and the rest will follow.

I felt that from the trailer comments, as well as MTV marketing the show as Wes vs Kenny(which implies they will stick for a while), there are really 2 no-brainer picks, the LeBron and Kobe of our draft, or Kenny & Wes. Both are above average competitors, and maybe more importantly, above average schemers! And it appears they have still have a score to settle, so also strong potential in the drama points! And they did go 1-2. Good picks from the top.

Next, I would say I wanted Landon or Darrell. They are both strong competitors(maybe even stronger than Wes or Kenny), but they are nice guys and not schemers, and also as Jon and I agreed, booo-rrring. With drama now a key source of point income, I’d have to place Landon and Darrell as a notch below Wes or Kenny. Noor, was a very impressive and ballsy(pardon my french) pick up from George. He killed the FM combine, so I can see the wisdom in this pick. But, as HT once warned us, he is a man of color and that is a de facto disadvantage in the world of reality tv. And will he score hook up points?? I dunno ladies. So those were picks 3-5, and once again my plans were scuttled.

So here I was, at the end of Round 1, with book-end picks, and all the smart safe choices gone. Normally, Eve would be a solid pick, but there was just too much uncertainty over if she was really on the show for me to take her so high. I did notice her in black and in the back pushing the log like Yas did…but I just wasn’t completely certain.

So I went with Plan B. I tried to take the partners of Kenny & Wes. After all, wouldn’t their partners stick around as long as they did? The remaining risk would be if I could identify them. Mandi is clearly Wes’ partner, and she appears to get a lot of camera time and drama. I wasn’t as sure about Laurel, but it appears that she is Kenny’s partner, and she’s a D1 athlete, and has potential hook up points with Pete.

So I actually think I scored a coup. I got the Poor Man’s #1 & #2 pick, coming from #6 & #7 position. If it pans out of course. And I get to play both sides in the epic battle between the house of York and Lancaster.

As for my final picks, well, a lot of good players came and went. I was hoping either Evelyn or Cara Maria could drop down this far, but no luck. So I just had to make the most out of the remaining choices I had. I did see that Paula dropped down and went with her, b/c she appears to understand the political machine well enough, and her record says she survives. She’s not a final round threat, but maybe she’ll go stir crazy and hook up with some of the FM, and does have veteran presence and credibility. Carley, I’m not quite sure what to make of her. At worst, she could be another Shauvon, and at best I’m hoping for a Tonya clone. Like pull a Vegas style crazy act and hook up with one(or more plz!) of the alumni males or something. She said she was a wrestler, but I don’t know if that’s all talk as she didn’t even make it over the wall and then blamed it on being top heavy….

The remaining guys, CJ(RW Noob worse than FM Noob, likely early target), Brandon(Fail-er? Man of color? Nick Clone?), Danny(el lardo and sacrificial lamb/pawn of wes?), just didn’t inspire any confidence in me. So that’s how I ended up with a team of all female starlets. I figured, if I’m going to go down, I might as well look good doing it. I do think I’ve got the best looking team now.

Remember, hook-ups are points, so drafting pretty, is drafting pretty smart! Haha.

GAME ON!!!

3 comments:

Yasmine said...

I'm going to have to disagree and say HT has the team of lookers. Kenny, Pete, CJ? In the words of Jenn, "Yummy."

esca said...

Well, you know what they say, that beauty is determined by the eye of the beholder. Plus, I've got 4 to HT's 3. I find it interesting that you threw Jillian under the bus. She's not a looker? HAHA ;)

Yasmine said...

In the eye of this beholder, no, I don't care for Jillian :P As for your team, I don't think Paula and Carly are much to look at. The other 2 are hotter. I do like that you've gone with an all-female team! You should call it Team WNBA.